Add Run command button to Start Menu in Windows 7
By default Run... command button is not present in Windows 7 Start menu.
To add it back perform following :
- Right click on Start Button > Properties
- In Taskbar and Start Menu Properties click Customize
- Scroll down and select Run Command
- Save opened dialog boxes by clicking OK
- Welcome back good old Run… button
Windows 8 weather app - change from fahrenheit to celsius
Windows 8 Consumer Preview Weather App seems to always default to Fahrenheit, and it may be not immediately obvious how to change to Celsius:
- Open the Weather App
- Open Side Panel Charms (drag mouse cursor to the top right corner or press WIN+C)
Login automatically in Windows 7
- Start > type netplwiz and press Enter
- User Accounts window will appear
- Select user you want to use for automatic logon
- Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"
- Press OK
- Enter your password if prompted
Next time you restart your computer Windows will login automatically using the account you selected.
Display Hidden / System Files and Folders
Windows XP by default keeps some important files and folders hidden. This is to protect files from accidental deletion, but if for any reason you want to see such files it only takes a few seconds to change this default behaviour:
- Open your "My Documents" folder (in fact it can be any folder)
- Click on Tools > Folder Options
(In Windows Vista and Windows 7 you may need to press Alt key to display the top menu bar)
- In Folder Options dialog click on View tab
- To show hidden files select "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
- To show system files uncheck "Hide Protected Operating System Files"