Luckily you can quite easily remove unwanted entries from the Windows startup list:
- Click On Start type msconfig.exe and press Enter.
- Change to the Startup tab.
- Remove a checkbox next to the items you want to disable.
- Click OK
- For changes to take affect restart your computer.
You may be surprised by how much software is starting automatically with Windows. And initially it may difficult to know what exactly you should disable.
Couple of points which may help:
- If you disable software it will simply not start automatically with Windows. You can still start it via a shortcut on the desktop or from Start > All Programs. For example you probably don't need iTunes starting automatically with Windows, you can always start it manually when you need it. On the other hand, you probably want to leave software such as AntiVirus, Online Backup clients, VOIP clients intact.
- You can't brake Windows by disabling these items. If you made a mistake and disabled something you shouldn't have, you can always go back and re-enable it.
- With some items you may have to employ trial and error method. Disable an item first and if after a restart something is not working as it should, re-enable it.