Cannot access default administrative share C$ on a Windows 10 PC from another Windows 10 PC in a Workgroup. When trying to access \\PC-Name\C$ Windows network credential prompt pops up, but after entering correct username and password, Access is denied message is displayed.
Enter your credentials to connect to: <PC-Name>
Access is denied
This behaviour is design. Windows Vista and newer versions of Windows no longer allow connecting to administrative shares via Workgroup network using local accounts.
To avoid the issue you can simply share required folders in a usual way, thus avoiding administrative shares.
If you have to use administrative shares, follow below steps:
- Open Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
- Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
- Create a new DWORD entry with the name: LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy and value: 1
To disable access via administrative shares, set value to 0
- A reboot should not be necessary
- Try accessing \\PC-Name\C$ again, and it should now work with local admin credentials.
Windows 10 Pro (20H2)