The places sidebar stopped working in Google Picasa 3. The following error is displayed instead of a map:
Close Picasa and perform the following steps:
- Open Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
- Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION
- Create a new DWORD entry with name: picasa3.exe and Hexadecimal value: 2af8 (Decimal: 11000).
Update 05/2022: You may need to enter 0 instead of 2af8.
Open Picasa and the embedded maps module should now work.
Windows 10 Pro (1803)
A recent Google Maps API update now caused another issue where the map is displayed correctly, but the red marker showing the exact location missing.
To resolve the issue perform the following steps:
- Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Picasa3\runtime\geotag and open file geopanelscript_v3.html in a text editor.
- Near the end of line 63, replace ...&v=3 with ...&v=3.51 &v=3.52
Note: Since 11/2023 with &v=3.51 you may see the error: "ReferenceError: 'google' is undefined". Use &v=3.52
- You'll need admin rights to save the changes.
The credit for this solution goes to Verrens on www.dpreview.com
Due to the Goole Maps backend change, the fix stopped working. A very similar error message is now being displayed instead of the map:
All you need to restore the fix (unclear for how long) is to follow the original instructions, but instead of value: 2af8, enter 0.
Credit for this goes to www.picxl.de.