Android Studio automatically adds Contacts permission

After updating my Fuel Log app to take advantage of Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) run-time permissions, I noticed that app's permission page (Settings > Apps > [app name] > Permissions) contains Contacts permission that is not present AndroidManifest.xml (nor anywhere else within my app).

Google search didn't produce any results in this case, but after looking into build.gradle I noticed that I was using out of data Google Play Services version (8.3.0).

After upgrading it to 8.4.0 the issue went away.

 

Android Studio 1.5.1
Google Play services version 8.3.0

January 2016

 

Newsletter

Subscribe to receive occasional updates on new posts.
Your email will not be used for any other purpose and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Please wait