After Microsoft Office 365 email domain migration from one M365 tenant to another, cannot add an email account in Outlook on Macs where the same account was previously configured.
Outlook never prompts for the mailbox password. On some computers, it simply fails with a generic message that something went wrong, on others, it pops up the following error message:
This account cannot be added. The license provided by your work or school does not enable access to Outlook for Mac. Please access your email through Outlook on the web instead.
The issue was resolved by performing the following steps:
- Remove all Microsoft Office related saved credentials from macOS Keychain (everything with Exchange, Office, and ADAL in their name).
- Switch MS Outlook to Legacy Mode.
- Add the account in question.
- Revert Outlook back to the modern mode.
- Outlook now prompted to re-enter the Microsoft account credentials. After that, it still showed a message that something went wrong, but regardless the account was added correctly.
macOS Sonoma (14.2)
MS Outlook for Mac